"YOUR FINAL DESTINY IS NOT MARRIAGE"
1. The Sunday School hour lessons I taught over the last four weeks concerned themselves with decision making in the home of a Christian husband, how the husband is supposed to be the decision maker in his home.
2. I showed the folly of couples who attempt to do what is right in their own eyes, the history of the functional hierarchy that exists in the home, the Ahab and Jezebel personalities of husbands who do not make the key decisions in their homes and the wives who make the key decisions in their homes, and the lack of proper Biblical respect for your mate when you are a decision making wife or a non-decision making husband.
3. Notice, sir, that I did not try to tell you how to arrive at the decisions that you make in your home. I did not address the issue of whether you are a benevolent dictator or whether you are one who delights in being a consensus builder in your home. I merely addressed the point that, when all is said and done, you must make the decisions in your home rather than your wife.
4. For your childrenís sakes, for your wifeís sake, for the cause of Christís sake, for this Churchís sake, for your testimonyís sake, for your own self respectís sake, and for the respect of your of your wifeís sake, you must be the leader in your home. And you cannot be the leader in your home unless you and only you make the important decisions.
5. And if you are the kind of passive fellow who is so laid back that you think there is nothing better to do than play with your kids at the end of the day while your wife is making adult decisions for you, or you are yourself a big kid who likes to play with the other grown children in the neighborhood after work instead of functioning as a husband and father and leader in your home, then your wife needs to take a bit of advice from your friendly neighborhood pastor.
6. If he wonít lead, you should not take up his slack and try to fill the leadership void. There is nothing in Godís Word which suggests that a wife should do her husbandís job for him should he be negligent in fulfilling his responsibilities. As a matter of fact, should he fail in his duties because of negligence and inattention you only exacerbate the problem by wrongly substituting for him.
7. Those comments made, let us now turn our attention to this morningís Sunday School lesson, "Your Final Destiny Is Not Marriage." Turn in your Bible to Mark 12.25, where Jesus said, "For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven."
1A. Understand, THERE IS A FINAL DESTINY THAT WILL BE YOURS FOR ETERNITY
1B. This Life Isnít All There Is
Since this life isnít all there is, what kind of folly is it for a person to live as though this life is all there is? Luke 12.16-20:
16And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
2B. There Is Heaven To Be Gained
And how important is heaven? Folks, there are 551 verses in the Bible in which the word "heaven" is found, indicating how important heaven is to God and how important heaven ought to be to you and to me. Just to whet your appetite for heaven, turn to Acts 7.55 and read what Luke says about Stephenís glimpse into heaven just a few moments before he was actually taken to heaven as the first Christian martyr: "But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God." If Jesus and God, in all His glory, is waiting for you in heaven, isnít it a place you ought to want to go?
3B. There Is Hell To Be Avoided
If heaven is a place of bliss and joy and contentment, look at what the opposite of heaven is, in Second Thessalonians 1.7-9:
7. . . the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
9Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power.
2A. Also, THIS LIFETIME IS YOUR ONLY OPPORTUNITY TO PREPARE FOR ETERNITY
1B. There Is No Preparation After This Lifetime
Hebrews 10.31: "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."
And Luke 16.19-31 shows that once a man dies and goes to Hell itís too late to do anything about it.
2B. There Is Only Preparation During This Lifetime
Hebrews 9.27: "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment."
3B. Nothing Is More Important Than Preparation For Eternity
Mark 8.35-38 shows the importance of preparing for eternity.
35. . . whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospelís, the same shall save it.
36For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
37Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
38Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
Ecclesiastes 1.2-3 shows the futility of this life apart from serving God and preparing for eternity:
2Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
3What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
3A. MARRIAGE IS ONLY A PART OF ONLY SOME PEOPLEíS PREPARATION FOR ETERNITY
"For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their motherís womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heavenís sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it."
First Corinthians 7.7-9:
7For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
8I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.
9But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
"Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death."
From these three passages we see a number of undeniable certainties that may now apply to you, or that may someday apply to you.
1B. First, Not Everyone Marries
2B. Second, Not Everyone Needs To Marry
3B. Third, Not Everyone Is Supposed To Marry
4B. Fourth, Not Everyone Is Equipped To Marry
5B. Fifth, Not Everyone Is Equipped Not To Marry
6B. Sixth, Not Everyone Who Is Married Will Be Married
7B. Finally, Marriage Can Interfere With Preparation For Eternity
You came into this world by yourself. You will go out of this world by yourself. You will enter either heaven or Hell when you die by yourself. Therefore, keep this matter of marriage in its proper place and tend to the salvation of your own soul.